Every once in a while I like to share my current children’s book favorites with my readers. I know that with everyone’s busy schedules it’s hard to read through lengthy blog posts sometimes, but I’m here today to tell you that there are two books you need to purchase for your classroom or home library. And (drum roll, please) these books are This Bridge Will Not By Gray and Arctic White.
This Bridge Will Not Be Gray written by Dave Eggers and illustrated by Tucker Nichols (2015)
I still haven’t made it to San Francisco, so my friend who lives in San Francisco and posts pictures on Facebook and this book are my only connections right now to the city. I love this book, and here’s why:
- It’s a nonfiction text that is ENGAGING!
- It tells story that I’m not sure many people (kids or adults) know about.
- It has a great narrative voice. And the book is FUNNY!
I will DEFINITELY share this book with my children’s literature students in the fall. You can read my full review here.
Arctic White written by Danna Smith and illustrated by Lee White (2016)
The Northern Lights have always been fascinating to me. I’ve always loved astronomy stuff. So combine my love of astronomy with my love of art books, and you can figure out why I LOVE Arctic White.
So here are my reasons for putting it on my list of favs:
- It’s about ART! And kids and students today desperately need to be reminded of the power of art.
- It’s beautifully illustrated.
- It helps readers understand the importance of natural and inner beauty.
I’m excited to hear what you think about these two books in the comments below!