If you love to sing and/or are around young children a lot, Sing With Me! is your next sing-aloud book.
In Sing With Me!: Action Songs Every Child Should Know (2016, Henry Holt), Naoko Stoop ads her wonderful illustrations to many popular lullabies and interactive songs for kids. Stoop’s beautiful illustrations go along with traditional lullabies and songs, such as “Itsy-Bitsy Spider” and “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.”
In fine listicle fashion, I am going to list 5 reasons why I like Sing With Me!
(1) I now know just the perfect book to give new parents! People say we just know these songs instinctively when the time is right, but this book will help people if the lyrics escape them!
(2) It acknowledges the reader (a trait of more and more contemporary picture books), which I always love! There are clues for one’s actions in parentheses.
(3) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pages on which the newspaper is used to make various shapes. I especially like the umbrella.
(4) Did I mention I LOVE Stoop’s illustrations? They show that “old” things can be made new and fresh again!
(5) Stoop features a diverse array of human and animal characters in her illustrations.
Overall, I liked Sing With Me and would love to hear what you think of Sing With Me! in the comments below.